Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Kelly Cutrone: I want to open a finishing school


From the minute she made Lauren Conrad feel *this* big on "The Hills," I have been enamored of Kelly Cutrone. Throughout her tenure on both "The Hills" and "The City," she has been one of the only voices of reason. The one to say, "stop acting like an a**hole and do your job." In a sea of sheep, she's dressed in black.
That's why I was excited and nervous to the point of vomiting when she called me yesterday. This is the kind of woman who you'd kill to work for yet might end up getting killed by her. You secretly long to be the recipient of her snappy dressing downs, yet fear the day she arches an eyebrow in your direction. But I found her to be fabulously funny, totally chill and endlessly intriguing -- especially when talking about playing headmistress at a real life Kelly Cutrone Finishing School.
PopWrap: When you first met Lauren Conrad did you imagine a career in reality TV awaited?
Kelly Cutrone: [laughs] Oh god, no. Talk about being in the middle of a fairytale and a carcrash simultaneously. I never saw that one coming. I didn't even know what the show was, that's the funniest part.
PW: What made you take a second look at the medium?
Kelly: I asked myself why Anna Wintour would choose to be a part of it. Everyone knows how much she loves Teen Vogue, so to put the magazine out there like that was obviously part of something bigger. It's been a gnarly ride, but an awesome one too.
PW: Were you apprehensive about playing such a large role on two shows?
Kelly: I didn't know if I would be in the middle of a burned-out kamikaze death spiral or jumping over this crevice into a new world of communicating and distributing media. Now, in 2009 we're seen this transition from old traditional media has been very interesting. I think "The City" is an amazing show because it features Bergdorf's and Manolo Blahnik -- people who wouldn't have fit into a template like this five years ago.

PW: It's also been interesting seeing the progression of these girls under your tutelage.
Kelly: I'm thinking of opening up a college -- a finishing school, of sorts. See, all these kids pay a lot of money to go to school and learn about the fashion industry from people who never worked in it. There's a big different between fashion theory and practical stuff, like launching a brand. That's why I should have a three-month finishing school. It would be very lucrative and entrepreneurially, it would be a good next step. I'm chomping at the bit to do that next.
PW: A good dose of reality for these girls so they know what they're getting into!
Kelly: It's a tough job, it really is. I always say the definition of a fashion person is a masochist who likes to travel.
PW: Do you lower the expectations of what you expect from Lauren, Whitney or Roxy?
Kelly: They're on par with the positions they're in. These are not the top dogs, they're assistants. All I want Roxy to do is not get me fired, not talk about boys, show up to work on time and bring a pen. Pretty basic stuff -- it's like assistant 101.
PW: Plus, Stephanie set the bar pretty damn low!
Kelly: [laughs] Aw, I feel bad. That was the funniest, saddest part. Dude, she put "handbag designer" as the objective on her resume. When I saw that, I was in shock. I didn't go in there wanting to have a moment like that with her. I just thought I'd let Lauren look after her while at the same time teaching her why you don't hire friends.
PW: That seems to be one of your big lessons -- what was the best piece of advice you ever received?
Kelly: Just to keep going. There are so many heartbreaking things about just being human, let alone when you try to follow your dreams in a harsh industry. This is not a place where people say, "excuse me," or "please." When you're smart or special, you think that's going to be acknowledged and celebrated. Then you get hit. My mom always said, j"ust get back up, go back to work and do it again the next day."

PW: Do you think Whitney is too thin-skinned for the fashion world?
Kelly: No, it'll teach her that. The industry is a great mother, father, mentor. She's going to get her marks, it's inevitable.
PW: Like in tonight's finale -- she tries to put on a fashion show for her line, right?
Kelly: Yes, and at one point I realize that I'm not only feeling maternal toward her and being a great philosopher, but secretly, "Oh god, I'm putting my name on her show." It's no longer about me wanting her to do a good job, but, "You better not f*** up because I'm putting my name on the show too!"
PW: I know you have a new show starting on Bravo in February. But do you think you'll be back for another season of "The City?"
Kelly: I hope so. Fingers crossed. I'm just really happy that I'm on a pretty fashion show that makes kids want to know how to have their own business. There aren't that many examples of women on TV who are real, single moms and do things their own way. I'm just glad not to be on a serial killer vampire show!
credit - Jarett Wieselman @ nypost.com

No comments:

Post a Comment