Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Erin Kaplan: One ‘Elle’ of a City girl!


Not that I’m addicted or anything (I SO am!) but I’m just loving Season 2 of The City following Whitney Port’s adventures in the big Apple.
One of the best couplings this season has to be New York socialite Olivia Palermo and Erin Kaplan, PR director at Elle Magazine.

The two come to blows in their first meeting, with feisty Olivia telling Erin if she wants a job done, to go and do it herself! (what ever happened to interns being nice!) Not Miss Palermo having grown up with a silver spoon in her mouth – something that riles Kaplan from the onset – and there begins the battle with Elle’s Creative Director Joe Zee  fighting in Palermo’s corner to retain her as she’s “good for the magazine“. Whilst Kaplan feels she’s full of attitude and is more of a hindrance than a help. It makes for great TV and whilst Olivia comes across as ‘butter wouldn’t melt,’ you just know underneath those designer clothes we all want – she’s probably a rottweiler in waiting! Whereas Kaplan who comes across as completely ‘out to get’ Olivia, is actually quite nice deep down..no really!
Don’t believe me? Then read on for an interview with the lady herself below!

So you come across as being such a tough-cookie who takes no sh*t from anyone, is that the ‘real’ Erin, or do you add a little extra for the cameras?
“The bottom line is I want what’s best for this magazine and I have to protect the relationships I’ve built up and if Olivia had come in and done an amazing job right-off, I would have said that.”
Do you feel the editing of the show set out to deliberately depict the friction between you and Olivia?

“The programme shows some of the relationships between key people at Elle and it just so happens with Olivia being the new girl and me stepping in to help her there is more to show, but it’s such a small part of what we both do on a daily basis. If I’m portrayed as really hard on camera, that’s one side to things – but I’ve been frustrated at being portrayed as somebody who doesn’t care about what’s best for the magazine and that’s totally not how it is.”
Do you enjoy working with Olivia?
“I was skeptical of how well we would get on and work together, as I was un-sure if she was a team-player which is really important at the magazine. That’s why I was seen voicing my concerns about her to Joe Zee (Creative Dir for the magazine.) But if she does well for the magazine then I’m game for her to stay. I have to be the eyes and ears of Joe and so it’s in my best interests to get on with Olivia and make things work for the magazine. We’re all a team here.”
credit - www.showbiz-i.com

9 comments:

  1. I think Erin is great. I liked her right away. I do have to say that she is strong-minded and is not a lemming who is enamored by a "socialite" status. I have much respect for Erin. Erin believes you EARN your place and are no entitled to it. I do have one warning for her though. From experience -- Erin should do her best and not be too negative about "difficult co-workers", people will become tired of it and start to judge the complainer instead of the difficult person. Keep your chin up and keep doing your best. Unfortunately, part of being your best in the world is sometimes dealing with difficult people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin is an embarrassment to women in business, and to Elle magazine. It amazes me that the magazine continues to employ her in a PR role, taking into consideration her behavior on “The Hills”. Erin is jealous, petty and disrespectful. She is trying to sabotage Olivia, and her tactics are appalling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's evident that Erin is very passionate about her job. I love her on the show!! Although I totally agree that Olivia is extremely annoying, Erin should be careful not to allow her annoyance with Olivia to be so transparent. Olivia is self-centered beyond belief and can't handle it when she isn't the center of attention. She seems to have gotten worse this season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love erin ! I beleieve she has every right to feel the way she feels about Olivia ! Olivia doesnt even belong at ELLE , Whitney is the one who belongs at ELLE ! Olivia took credit for the cover ! I believe that Olivia is self aborsed,rude, disrespectful, and needs to be aware of her place and stay in it ! Erin keep accelerating at your job , and dont let Olivia get to you as much ! every dog has it day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a very similar situation at work myself. Like Erin, I want what is best for my company and strive for excellence in whatever I do. The new employee I work with works to make herself look good and does not make decision on what is best for the company. She makes mistakes frequently and lies when she does. I feel my boss holds her hand and lets her get away with things that she should not.

    ReplyDelete
  6. olivia blows...does she even work for elle

    joe zee rules

    ReplyDelete
  7. Where can I find the slacks shown on TV yesturday??

    ReplyDelete
  8. I believe that Erin is giving Olivia karmic payback for how Olivia treated Whitney. I do believe Erin has a jealousy issue with Olivia, but she is serious about her work ethics. Olivia appears to be a air head and tries to act like everything is fine, when she feels totally the opposite of how she acts. Stop the games and be real Olivia.

    ReplyDelete