Saturday, January 8, 2011

Whitney Port Dishes On Her Personal Aesthetic And Her Three Fave Stores



Spotted: Whitney Port out in Beverly Hills on January 7, 2011.
Here is an excerpt from an interview Whitney recently did with The NYLA Report.
What design influences have contributed to this personal aesthetic and your ideas for designing?
Well, influences…I really grew up in the fashion industry. My dad had been working in the apparel industry for forever, and my mom is an artist and art teacher, so I think the mix of those two definitely had a major influence on me becoming a fashion designer.
So what exactly did your dad do in the fashion industry?
He was always in manufacturing. He bought licenses, like Strawberry Shortcake and Carebears, and then printed them on simple t-shirts and lounge wear.
You’ve shown your WhitneyEve Collection at New York Fashion Week before – can we possibly look forward to seeing you in February for Fall/Winter 2011?
As of right now, I’m not scheduled to show my line in February. But I am looking at presenting at some other shows coming, like Coterie and Projects in Las Vegas.
When you have time to shop, what are you favorite stores to hit up?
I love Opening Ceremony, I love Scout. I love….hmmm, that’s a good question [laughs]…I love this store called The Reformation here in Los Angeles. I think those would by my three favorites.
What is your favorite item you have in your closet at home?
Right now my favorite items are these Camilla Skovgaard ankle boots that I just wear with everything. I’m like over-wearing them right now [laughs].
Can you offer any little bit of advice for people looking to enter the fashion industry?
Yeah! The key is to start early, and to intern at as many different places as possible to see what you like best. And obviously realize it is not as glamorous as it looks, and it is A LOT of hard work, and you really have to love it. But, remember, there is so much opportunity in fashion and you just have to start small and be patient.
Click here to read the full interview
credit - photos: tlfan, Interview: thenylareport.com
~Kelli at Hills Freak

No comments:

Post a Comment