Thursday, September 3, 2009

'Hills' Star Stephanie Pratt's Animal Past: I Had a Rat!


At first glance, you wouldn't guess that Stephanie Pratt is a serious animal lover. As Spencer Pratt's totally SoCal sis on MTV's The Hills, returning Sept. 29, she fills the role of tanned and toned confidante and shopaholic to a T. But beneath that fashion-focused faade is a girl who grew up taking care of everything from a rat afflicted by a brain tumor to a dog she found shaking under a car. PEOPLE Pets recently spoke to the reality star (and mom to 1-year-old rescue, Charlie, above) about the animals that have changed her life.
Puppies and horses and rats, oh my! "I had every single type of animal growing up," Pratt tells PEOPLE Pets. "I had a guinea pig, and even got a horse for Christmas once." Perhaps the most surprising pet? A rat! "Unfortunately, my rat didn't live long," recalls Pratt. "She had a brain tumor, so my mom and I would give her medicine three times daily, just trying to save her. My whole family truly loves animals."
But the creature that influenced Pratt's life the most had to be her family's rescue dog, Kiki. "I found her under a car one rainy night — she was just a beaten-up, hairless little thing," she says. "We took her straight to the animal hospital, and the doctors didn't know if she'd make it. We picked her up a few days later, and now she's this healthy little terrier mix who completely bounced back." The Pratt family also owns golden retriever Chance, who is "best friends" with Kiki. "Chance is huge," says Pratt, "but he plays with her with his big paws so gently."
Rescue operation. Pratt credits her mom with instilling a love for animals in both her and Spencer at a young age. But one particular experience about a year and a half ago truly brought the three of them together. "There were these homeless feral cats that would come by our parents' house," Pratt recalls. "So my mom started putting food out. Eventually one of the cats had babies, and then more and more — we were literally feeding a multiplying family. Some would come back for the food every day, but some didn't, and it was devastating, because we knew we were losing kittens."
Pratt knew they had to break the cycle. So after asking a family friend for advice, her mother humanely trapped all the remaining cats, took them to an animal hospital and had them fixed. Some found homes, but others still hang around the house. "It's still a sad situation, but we take care of them as best we can," says Pratt. "When my parents are out of town, Spencer and I make a schedule of who will stop by the house to feed the cats. We've both become really attached to them."
New puppy love. Though she's had a hand in raising all her family's other pets, Pratt is now mom to a dog of her own, Charlie. A rescue mix she took in last year, the little guy just turned 1, and celebrated with doggie cookies! "I've tried to get him on The Hills," says Pratt. "But he's too rambunctious, and not potty-trained. So he hangs out with the crew when I'm filming."
Pratt's pup is still in that "chew-everything" phase of puppyhood. "He loves stuffed animals! And hangers too," she says. "He did actually hide one of my Converse sneakers a month ago, and to this day I have not found it." Despite his flaws, Pratt says having her puppy around is worth the work. "He's just so loving. I feel so lucky to have him in my life.
credit - people pets

No comments:

Post a Comment